Monday, July 26, 2010

tangible grace...

I would maintain that thanks are the highest form of thought; and that gratitude is happiness doubled by wonder.
G.K. Chesterton

there continues to be an undercurrent of sadness in me. i'm approaching the two year mark of mike's death and there's a part of me that had hoped my life would be healed and full of happiness. but i'm so quickly distracted by what is absent.

in order to redirect my heart and mind from becoming stuck in the despair i've tried to cultivate more gratitude. to be aware of where there is abundance, tangible grace in my life. so i'm going to start to name my gratitude here. a challenge to once a week list moments, experience, people, anything that has reminded me that this life isn't about being happy, but it's about seeking true joy, peace, truth, compassion, radical love. so i pray that my eyes, ears, heart, mind will be ready to receive the wonder.

1. coffee sweetened with vanilla soy creamer

2. homemade blueberry and strawberry cupcakes

3. facebook...a necessary evil but today it was a place where i connected with friends and was gifted with some new pictures of mike

4. for friends who knew mike, were a part of our story, who grieve with me still

5. seeing familiar faces around calvin's campus today...

6. my bike adorned with a new basket on the front

7. always having a book in my purse, anticipating a free moment to dive into its' pages



2 comments:

Shannon said...

I spent some time catching up on your blog tonight. I your words.

Kristin said...

I was given your blog by a friend. I too lost my husband 2 years ago (he was 27, I was 29 -- we had been married almost 5 years). Thanks for sharing your heart and your story.