Wednesday, February 17, 2010

A season of letting go…and taking in

Lent.

Lent is intended to resurrect our joy. Lent originally meant "springtime": the word comes from the Old English word for "spring," lencten, which came from lengan, "to make longer"—reminding us that the slow, wonderful lengthening of this season in our souls can signal an end to a winter of bitterness and the flowering of Christ's love in us.

For me this is a season in my faith that challenges me to let go of things that may be hindering my relationship with God, my own wellness, my growth. But I also like to make this a time to draw new things in…To replace what hinders me with what can enrich me, or free me.

So this lent season i have decided to let go of spending time on facebook and sugar. Facebook tends to be a superficial means for me to connect with others. It usually sucks up time and is just media noise in my life. So I’m taking a break…and when I feel the urge to check out people’s statuses I’ll give them a call or even write them a letter. To engage with my real friends (and not the 600+ I’ve accumulated).




Sugar is the source of cravings all day long. Already I’m craving something sweet as I write this, a little pick-me up as I’m hitting the 2 o’clock afternoon slump. I struggle with headaches, lack of energy, struggle with sleep. So I need a sugar detox. No candy, cookies, ice cream, cream/sugar for my coffee, chocolate…I am hopeful to not be as dependant on sugar to sustain me but to develop new healthy habits. To be more conscious and intentional about my eating.

It’s funny how when you choose to fast from something you’re attention on that item increases significantly. It seems like all I can notice today are all the sugar items at my office. A box of valentines day cookies coated in red sugar are taunting me, and I don’t even like these cookies. But because I can’t have them I want them!

I did indulge in one last taste of sugar this morning at my favorite breakfast spot, the Cheri Inn. Their cinnamon french toast is delightful…I savored every bite. It felt like a treat, like an experience to have such a rich, sugary dish. And I believed I enjoyed it more than most other times where I just eat it.

I hope by eliminating these tangible things that deeper needs will be revealed and I can address where I need to grow. To confront my anxieties and fears. To bring my laments to God as I continue to face new grief ripples (the secondary losses from mike’s death…)

I will do my best to journal and share with you this process. I think to make the most of this lent season I need to put to words the challenges, blessings, insights, questions that emerge…

1 comment:

Gail said...

Good luck sweetie!!! Try snacking on fruits (dried and fresh) to get a bit of that sugar fix you're craving.

I admire you for giving up both these things!!!